ISLAND OF BEAUTY: MADEIRA


It’s a lovely island. Actually, I’m enthralled by it. I am amazed.” – Ernest Hemingway, when asked about his impressions of Madeira

Who knew? I’d even been to Madeira before and I didn’t know. I didn’t know how beautiful the island of Madeira is. Well, now I know.

It’s an island of varying landscapes. Lush greenery. Forests (after all, “madeira” is Portuguese for lumber). Terraced farming. Desert. Colorful flowers. Rocky shorelines. But no sandy beaches, not even black sand. All within an area of 286 square miles.

Once again, I am no skilled photographer. But here are some shots to help tell the story in pictures:




Terraced farming

Green hills

Multiple shades of green

Hydrangea colors I've never seen before

Sea rock formations

The town grows up the hill, alongside terraced farms

Sea arch

With no sand beaches, swimming
is in inviting tide pools

Rocks and greenery

Another Madeira hillside

Cactus by the sea


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND: BLUE, GREEN, AND GRAY

NEVER AGAIN: BREENDONK

ISAFJORDUR, ICELAND: FISH AND SMILES